Thursday, June 9, 2016

Next Level of Integration



Integration is a key to Peace Corps. Why? Without being integrated people don’t trust you, and you won’t be able to get any work done. Without integration people don’t know you and it’s lonely. Without integration people don’t like you, and it’s dangerous. So in our first few months, our job is to integrate. And I did that. I was trusted, known, and liked in my first few months. But now, after 18 months, I feel like I’ve reached another level of integration.

My “next level is integration” is what I feel like I have reached because I no longer feel like the guest of honor all the time. Instead of being tip toed around I’m been spoken to like a local. I don’t receive special treatment, I get pushed to the back of the line. Instead of being asked nicely, I get ordered. Yeah, it sounds bad writing it out, but I guess being a stranger in a foreign place, I have a different perspective! 

I realized it when taxi drivers no longer cared so much that I was comfortable, always offering me the front seat, even if it meant moving another passenger back. That happened pretty soon, after my first 3 or 4 months I’d say. And as much as I’d like that special treatment when my leg is going numb sitting squished in the back seat, it feels nice to be treated like any other Peruvian! 

Mothers Day lunch with the teachers
More recently, it was Mother’s Day. The male and single female teachers prepared lunch for the mother teachers. Last year, no matter the occasion, if there was a lunch, I was invited and not asked to do anything. This year however, I am expected to collaborate for the lunches, and in this Mothers Day case, to help cook, and serve the food and drink. Yeah I guess it seems nicer to sit back and not be expected to help out, but I love being included and feel like a part of the staff, not a visiting tourist! I also took on Mother’s Day lunch at my host family’s house. My host niece and I did all the cooking and serving. It felt awesome to be trusted with that! And I got tons of complements on my chicken!

I’ve also been included and am kept in the loop in a lot of town gossip now, which isn't always good. It feels good to be included and trusted to be confided in, but sometimes I don’t want to listen to who stole whose chicken or which family dissed which. And in a small town, it’s important to stay away from talking bad about another person because si or si (yes or yes) that person will hear about it. So I listen, nod, and avoid circles where gossip is constant.

ceremony puting on stoles
Yesterday was a ceremony in the elementary school when kids received special stoles to distinguish those who received special roles in their classroom (class police to keep order, class environment rep, etc.). Last year during this ceremony I watched from a far, took a few pictures of the group... A few bold parents asked politely, “señorita would you mind taking a picture of my son to print and sell it to me?” This year I was invited to stand up front as a town authority, I was asked to put on stoles for 4 or 5 kids, and I exhausted myself taking pictures of everyone. After the ceremony I was hounded with parents calling out to me: “Miss, take pictures of my daughter!” “ale, take this picture with my son and sell it to me!” “gringa take my picture!” “why are you calling her gringa? Her name is miss alexis!” “no her name is alexis, “miss” means señorita in English! Dauh!” It was exhausting tending to all of them, but made me chuckle and smile. 

People respect me, take care of me, but they aren’t afraid of me anymore. They aren’t afraid to ask favors, speak frankly, joke around. When people lose their distanced politeness, it makes me feel more comfortable. And if someone gives me attitude, my level of Spanish is enough now so that I can give it right back!




2 comments:

  1. Ahh good to hear your comfortable in your temporary home. If I remember right your on the short side of your assignment! Congratulations

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Lexi,sounds like you have really gotten into the lifestyle, you have become comfortable, that is wonderful.
    I believe you are going to see some big changes here at home, lets face it the lifestyle is very different but I can see just in your blogs you have really "grown" Love you much, Grannie/Grandpa

    ReplyDelete